24 April 2013

Juan Andres Milanes: Mind the Gap

MIND THE GAP
Juan Andres Milanes
Hå gamle prestegard
20.4.-2.6.13
Installations and paintings

Everyday objects of impossible features in awkward positions. Juan Andres Milanes makes you look twice, not believing your own eyes. Epoxy moulds of forklifts (or whatever they are called) seem for real, but they are much, much lighter. So light, they are not breaking the dry stands beneath. Or so light they may be carried on your shoulder, which the artist actually did on the Oslo metro. This is one of several performances he made with his artwork in public space.

The performances are not documented in film or photos but in the artist's own paintings. An artwork based on an artwork. The paintings are wonderful as such, but even greater knowing that these are not only ideas for performances, but they actually took place.

Another piece is a sink, also in epoxy, with too many handles for cold water. It seems all to be in order, but I will never know if water will flow, because I would never be able to decide which tap to turn.

Another intervention in public space is a video showing the artist activating homeless people in Oslo. They are given professional dance lessons, to perform a dance show in the streets. The artist change them from invisible people to visible people.

I love surprises in art, I love original ideas, and I love a good puzzle. Milanes provides it all.

Work by Juan Andres Milanes
Exhibition view

Work by Juan Andres Milanes
Analyzing-sanity

Work by Juan Andres Milanes
Walking my pet

Work by Juan Andres Milanes
CW

Work by Juan Andres Milanes
Walking my pet

Work by Juan Andres Milanes 
In a straight line from my face to my back