01 December 2013

Chosil Kil: Man of Tomorrow

Man of Tomorrow
Chosil Kil
29.11.-8.12.13

Galleri Opdahl, Stavanger
Installations

Every time I visit an exhibition I hope to get a moment of magic, of enlightenment, of surprise or of joy. Today at Gallery Opdahl I really experienced a moment of magic.

Sometimes the descriptions and teasers for exhibitions seem promising, but then the exhibition itself does not quite live up to it. At Opdahl it was the other way around. On beforehand I saw photos of large balloons floating in mid-air, connected to some items on the ground by strings. At first I admired the balloons as almost impossible sculptures as they were, not sinking, not rising. But then magic happened. As I was moving through the room, the slight movements in the air made the balloons move, and dragged their metal anchors gently along the floor, and the sound of celestial bells rang. As I moved around and between the balloons, the chime sound increased, and I became part of the cinetic installations. The title "Ballroom" may point to the air-filled balls in the air, but just as much to my urge to dance among the balloons.

The exhibition also contains interesting sculptures, a balloon cast in aluminium and a water filled balloon, and a collage of lambskins. But this time the floating balloons got all my attention. 

Chosil Kil: Exhibition view
Exhibition view

Chosil Kil: Ballroom
Ballroom

Chosil Kil: Dog Paddle
Dog Paddle

Chosil Kil: Dog Paddle
Dog Paddle


Chosil Kil: Goalkeeper 
Goalkeeper